Saturday 1 June 2013

Superhero or super hero

Given myself a bit of a problem. I quite like films and so on like X Men, I can take 'em or leave 'em alone (mostly the latter usually, Mrs. B isn't up for that kind of stuff), but I've never read any of the comics or any of the books in that genre - until now. I casually followed a link on Amazon to a series of books set in a world where Superheros exist. The particular hero of this series is a young girl - and the similarity to the two Saskias in my books is uncanny - so much so that I can't put this series of books down! The books are even set in Chicago, a place the Saskias have visited - and where they're going again in 'America'. Ok, so imagine X Men, a whole set of heros with super powers of one kind or another battling other baddies with similar powers. That's what these other books are all about.

So what's the problem? I spent most of the first book thinking, 'wow, perhaps Saskia should do that', or, 'blimey, should I put that sort of thing in?' The answer that came back is - probably not. This answer was quite obvious, to me at least, when I read the latest section of 'America' I'm currently writing. The way I write is to scribble down a few thousand words (scribble? on a computer? whatever), then go back and see if what I've written makes sense. I had no problem dropping back into Saskia's world, despite having just spend a few days in quite another world generated by someone else.

So. The young girl in these other books is a Hero, like Connan the Barbarian. My characters, the Saskias and Lisa, Jody and Holly are just ordinary girls (most of them anyway) with extraordinary abilities. And that's the way they're going to stay. My girls are super heros, not Superheros - and there is a difference.
Ian B.

No comments:

Post a Comment